BeyondHousing is committed to the responsible handling of personal information and the principles of confidentiality and privacy, ensuring the protection of an individual’s right to privacy. BeyondHousing will adhere to all relevant legislative requirements associated with privacy and confidentiality. The policy applies to personal information, defined as ‘information or opinion about an individual whose identity is apparent or can be reasonably ascertained from the information or opinion’ and relates to all knowledge of personal information held by BeyondHousing.
You can also download our privacy brochure.
Responsibility & Authority
All BeyondHousing staff are responsible for acting in accordance with this policy and relevant legislation.
BeyondHousing Managers are responsible for ensuring that all staff receive appropriate training and information relating to privacy legislation.
The Chief Executive Officer maintains authority to ensure the values of the organisation are upheld in the delivery of services to consumers and that the organisation’s reputation is maintained.
The Contact Officer for privacy and related matters is the CEO.
The CEO can be contacted on email@example.com.
- BeyondHousing will only collect personal information that is necessary for specific and legitimate functions of the organisation. In particular, information will be collected to help with your housing.
- Information will be collected by fair and lawful means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way.
- BeyondHousing is unable to provide people with anonymity in dealing with the organisation. People may request anonymity and it can be approved by the CEO, where practicable, reasonable and appropriate.
- People will be informed of who is collecting the information (BeyondHousing), what we are collecting and why, before being asked to give personal information or as soon as reasonably practicable after.
- People will provide consent to give personal information to BeyondHousing. This will last for 6 months and can be withdrawn at any time.
- Under reasonable circumstances, BeyondHousing will only collect information about an individual from that individual.
- If BeyondHousing collects personal information from someone else, the organisation will take reasonable steps to ensure the individual is made aware of their rights in relation to the information collected. If this information is not relevant to, or necessary for the functions of the organisation, or could not have been reasonably collected from the individual, it will be destroyed.
When collecting information, BeyondHousing will inform individuals of:
- The type of information collected and the purpose for which it is used.
- How information is collected and with whom BeyondHousing will share the information, including an explanation of informed consent.
- How to gain access to the personal information that BeyondHousing holds and how to seek a correction.
- Any law that requires the information to be collected and/or shared.
- The consequences for the individual (if any) if all or part of the information is not provided.
- How a person might complain about a breach of their privacy.
Use & Disclosure
- BeyondHousing will not use or disclose personal information about an individual for a purpose other than the primary purpose except for circumstances specified in the Acts.
- BeyondHousing will ensure that the personal information collected, used, or disclosed is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
- BeyondHousing will take all reasonable steps to protect the personal information it holds from interference, misuse, loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
- BeyondHousing will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify personal information if it is no longer needed for any purpose as directed by the Acts.
- BeyondHousing will adhere to any Data Security Standards as required by the Department of Health and Human Services, and other State Government Departments as outlined in organisational agreements.
- On request, BeyondHousing will take reasonable steps to let the person know generally what sort of personal information it holds, for what purposes, and how it collects, holds, uses and discloses the information.
- We will also let the person know how to access their information and that they can request to make a correction if they believe the information we have is incorrect.
Access & Correction
- BeyondHousing will provide access to personal information held by the organisation to that individual upon request, except in specific circumstances outlined within the Acts. If that person is incapable, then an authorised representative of that individual may seek access or correction.
- Where BeyondHousing holds personal information about an individual and the individual is able to establish that the information is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, BeyondHousing will take reasonable steps to correct the information within 30 days of request.
- If required, BeyondHousing will inform third parties (where consent to disclose has been provided) of corrections.
- Where BeyondHousing and an individual disagree about the accuracy of the information, BeyondHousing will take reasonable steps to record a statement relating to the disputed information if requested by the individual. BeyondHousing will also provide the individual with written reasons for refusing to correct the information.
- BeyondHousing will not assign, adopt, disclose, or require unique identifiers from individuals unless required to carry out functions of the organisation successfully or as required under the Acts
- Wherever lawful and practicable, BeyondHousing will respect individuals right to not identify themselves in their transactions with the organisation.
Trans-border Data Flows
- BeyondHousing will only transfer information about an individual outside Victoria where a request for information conforms with the Acts.
- Information provided to the Australian Institute for Health and Wellbeing is de-identified and is regulated under the Privacy Act 1988.
- BeyondHousing will not collect sensitive information about an individual except for circumstances detailed under the Acts.